Building Green: Sellen’s Sustainability Success
Sellen’s sustainability team reflects on accomplishments and milestones achieved over the past year.
Sellen has completed 48 LEED projects, with several more currently in construction or pending certification. Here is a brief roundup of some of the sustainability team’s recent accomplishments:
- Day 1 (Block 19): LEED Gold
- Madison Centre: LEED Gold
- Centre 425: LEED Silver
- Vashon Performing Arts Center: LEED Silver
Town Hall Non-Toxic Materials Project
Sellen’s team recently completed this project, researching 500 products to vet specifications for non-toxic materials. The new Town Hall HVAC system must operate for 12 months before the team submits the project for an O+M LEED certification.
Local and National Presence
Sellen’s Jennifer Frey and Dave Walsh represented the company on multiple green boards and committees. Last year, Sellen was a founding member of the “Clean Construction Coalition,” where we have joined forces with other local contractors to improve air quality on jobsites. The team also spoke at multiple, prominent conferences for the Associated General Contractors, OSHA, the Department of Ecology, the Design-Build Institute of America, and the University of Washington.
Sellen also published a white paper on the new State Energy Code and an in-depth case study on the use of green concrete at the Helen Sommers Building (formerly 1063).
2018 and Beyond
LEED Version 4 (v4) is now official. Sellen has a variety of projects in preconstruction currently being designed to this new standard. In 2018, the following projects will submit for LEED:
- Helen Sommers Building (1063): LEED Platinum
- West Edge: LEED Gold
- 9th and Lenora: LEED Gold
- 9th and Thomas: LEED Gold
- KEXP New Home: LEED Silver
- Hyatt Regency Lake Washington (Southport): LEED Silver
- Pacific Northwest Ballet Francia Center: LEED Gold
- Pike Place MarketFront: LEED Silver and Sustainable Design Standard established by Dept. of Commerce
- UW Medicine 3.2: LEED Gold