Seattle Storm Center for Basketball Performance Construction Updates
Upcoming Construction Activities:
- Tuesday, Oct. 10 – Wednesday, Oct. 25: Thorndyke Ave. West will be closed for Seattle City Light work.
- Saturday, Oct. 28: Seattle Public Utilities will be closing Thorndyke Ave West.
- Wednesday, Nov. 1 – Monday, Nov. 13: Mobile cranes will be brought on-site for loading and installing rooftop
equipment onto the roof deck.
- Concrete pours will continue in October and ongoing trucking and equipment presence will be on-site throughout the month.
- The team will be loading materials up to the roof throughout the month. This activity will require the presence of boom trucks on-site throughout the duration of the scope.
The following sidewalk changes will remain in place in October:
- The sidewalk along West Bertona Street will remain closed along the length of the south side of the job site.
Additional Project Information:
- Currently, 95% of all design and engineering team are women and people of color.
- The building design celebrates the Storm’s Pacific Northwest home, deriving inspiration from the roots of its industrial neighborhood and the team’s commitment to elite performance.
- The project is designed to achieve LEED® Gold certification, featuring all-electric operations and a rooftop photovoltaic array.
- Upon the building’s completion, the franchise will continue its longstanding work with non-profit and community partners, welcoming them to its new home to collaborate in supporting community development.
Project Team Members:
The women-led project team includes owner’s representative barrientos RYAN, a design team led by ZGF Architects and Shive-Hattery Architects, general contractor Sellen Construction, and landscape architect Walker Macy. Additional project partners include Coughlin Porter Lundeen, Holmes, Prime Electric, PAE, Apollo Mechanical, Counterbalance Consulting, PanGeo, Counsilman-Hunsaker, Bargreen Ellingson, Heffron Transportation, RDH, Studio Pacifica, and BRC Acoustics.
Questions or concerns? Contact us anytime.
Project Email Inbox: Storm@Sellen.com
Construction Bulletin Archive
- February 2023
- March 2023
- April 2023
- May 2023
- June 2023
- July 2023
- August 2023
- September 2023
- October 2023
About the Project:
We’re excited to announce that construction of the Seattle Storm Center for Basketball Performance has started. The design includes strength and fitness spaces specifically designed for the professional WNBA players; two side-by-side basketball courts; and two exterior 3x half courts to accommodate the fast growing 3×3 game that debuted in the 2020 Olympics. This is the first time the front office staff and players will occupy the same building. Construction is expected to begin in Spring 2023 and be completed in time to accommodate the start of the 2024 WNBA season.